The Diploma Supplement (DS) is a document accompanying a higher education diploma, providing a standardised description of the nature, level, context, content and status of the studies completed by its holder. It is produced by the higher education institutions according to standards agreed by the European Commission, the Council of Europe and UNESCO. The Diploma Supplement is also part of the Europass framework transparency tools .
The supplement is designed as an aid to help (but not guarantee) recognition – it is not a CV or a substitute for the original qualification.
Graduates in all the countries taking part in the Bologna Process have the right to receive the Diploma Supplement automatically, free and in a major European language.
- It is not a curriculum vitae (CV)
- It is not a substitute for a transcript or a diploma
- It is not a document that guarantees academic or professional recognition automatically
- a qualification that is more readable and easily comparable abroad;
- a precise description of their academic career and the competencies acquired during their studies;
- an objective description of their achievements and competencies;
- easier access to opportunities for work or further studies abroad.
For higher education institutions:
- more transparent qualifications (thanks to easier academic and professional recognition);
- continued national/institutional autonomy within a common framework accepted throughout Europe;
- informed judgements about qualifications that can be understood in other educational contexts;
- greater visibility of the institution abroad;
- enhanced employment prospects for their graduates, both at home and abroad;
- time savings – by answering many of the questions commonly asked of institutions about the content and portability of their qualifications.
Diploma Supplement is given to any student for free after graduation. Here are the samples:
- Associates Degree Diploma Supplement
- Bachelors Degree Diploma Supplement
- Masters Degree Diploma Supplement With Thesis
- Masters Degree Diploma Supplement Non-Thesis
- Doctorate Degree Diploma Supplement